SINGAPORE, 28 September 2018 – Mr Wong Kim Yin, Group Chief Executive Officer of Singapore Power Ltd, will be appointed the Chairman of the SkillsFuture Singapore (SSG) Board with effect from 1 October 2018. He will take over from Mr Tan Pheng Hock, who will retire from the Board on 30 September 2018.
2. Mr Wong is the current Chairman of SP PowerAssets Limited, Singapore District Cooling Pte Ltd and SP Digital Holdings Pte Ltd, as well as a Director of SP Services Ltd. He has been serving on the SSG Board as the Chairman of the Committee for Private Education and is also a member of the Board of Governors, Singapore Polytechnic.
3. Mr Tan has served as Chairman of SSG since October 2016, and as a member of the former Singapore Workforce Development Agency (WDA) Board since 2005. This includes 9 years as WDA Chairman from 2007-2016, prior to its restructuring into SSG and Workforce Singapore. Mr Tan played a pivotal role in the development of an integrated, high-quality continuing education and training system that is well-regarded internationally. He also saw through several major initiatives that include the development of the Singapore Workforce Skills Qualifications system, the Skills Programme for Upgrading and Resilience, the Continuing Education and Training Masterplans, and the development and implementation of key SkillsFuture initiatives such as SkillsFuture Credit, MySkillsFuture, and SkillsFuture Series.
4. There will also be further changes to the composition of the Board with effect from 1 October 2018. Four new members will be appointed to the Board:
5. Three members will retire from the Board:
6. The new SSG Board comprises 15 members representing the Public Service, educational institutions, private sector, and the unions. For more details on the new SSG Board, please see Annex A.